Sunday, January 2, 2011

#12- Waiting for the 'L'


The other day I was watching an old episode of How I Met Your Mother. If you aren't familiar with the show, its about a group of friends in their late 20s / early 30s living and learning in the city of New York. In the episode, Robin and Lily are seated at McLaren's bar hoping to meet new men, and Robin says to Lily...

"Guys are like the subway; you miss one, another comes along in five minutes."

My immediate reaction... EXCUSE ME?!? What the hell is she talking about? Clearly she's lying, or maybe things work differently for the single woman in New York. I wouldn't know.

I'm from Chicago.

Chicago. A city where public transportation is sub-par and a good man is hard to find. I've spent countless hours out in the cold waiting for the 'L' to show up, and countless nights in a cold bed waiting for the 'L' to show up. The love. What is all this "another comes along in five minutes" bullshit? New York women have it easy. If men were coming my way every five minutes, even awful ones, I doubt I'd still be single. Statistically I would have met one decent, good-looking, funny, smart man by now who wanted to be with me too. And if the train showed up every five minutes? Forget about it. That would be even better. A medium cup of coffee and that stupid heat lamp only keep me warm for so long out there on the platform.

Ah the two L's in my life. Both are unreliable, both are messy, both guarantee an interaction with a crazy person, and both frustrate me to no end. But guess what? I need them both. To get where I want to go, to where I need to go, I have to have the 'L.' Both are essential to my existence in this city, and no matter how frustrating they may be, I'm not ready to give up on Chicago public transportation or Chicago men just yet.

So this is my response to the How I Met Your Mother theory on guys...

"Guys are like the L; you miss one, sucks. You'll catch one eventually. You just have to be patient."

1 comment: