Thursday, March 1, 2012

#16- How I Met Your Sperm Donor


In the words of the honorable Rafiki, "It is time!" I am officially calling out the television series How I Met Your Mother. (And in the words of the honorable Chris Bridges aka Ludacris, "Imma tell it like it is.")

First I want to say that I LOVE this show. I am a huge Friends fan, if not the #1, and HIMYM is Friends done with far more creativity and forethought. However, the show is also incredibly manipulative. Ted is in search of "the one," which is what makes the inevitable finale when he meets his perfect match so exciting... and infuriating.

Really Ted? You dream of this woman who plays bass and digs architecture and blah blah blah and then BAM, she shows up and you live happily ever after? Sure, you had to wait until you were like 35 or whatever, but I bet you a million dollars Ted meets his wife when she is in her mid-twenties. (We already know she was in college when he was a professor...).

What ticks me off about this show is that the hopeless romantic character that women sympathize with is a DUDE!!!

Women can't be hopeless romantics the same way men can. We have timing to think about. A show about a hopeless romantic in HER mid-30s would be called Nearing Time For In-Vitro. Sure it worked out for the women on Sex and the City, but let's be honest; they were huge whores with talented writers who made it all okay.

I feel for Liz Lemon (from 30 Rock). She's chronically single. She is the other side of the coin that women fear, yet she is strong and driven and can laugh at herself. She tells me it'll all work out no matter what.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I wish there was a show that truly told it like it is, that followed a woman through the ups and downs of dating and found her in a position where she had to make a choice; baby or no baby? Again, I LOVE HIMYM and I want Ted to find his Mrs. Right. I just get a little frustrated thinking about myself in the same situation.

Give me a show called How I Met Your Sperm Donor. Yes it would be a dramady, and yes it would involve a lot of lady talk and wine, but hell yes would it speak to the single 20-something girl with a jaded but optimistic view of love, marriage and children. I like knowing that I could end up married or I could end up on my own, and either way it could be awesome.

Love ya Ted, but we all know it works out in the end so... screw you. Here's to the rest of us still working toward it and a little scared we might end up alone.

UPDATE: Since writing this post I have discovered Ally McBeal. This is the show I have been looking for. It is slightly outdated, and Calista Flockhart isn't the most endearing actress, but this is the show that makes me feel okay. She is lost and you just don't know what will happen to her. This is how I feel, how most of us (men and women) feel. It's wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I think this show, HIMYSD, could have broad appeal. I think you should write a scipt and pitch it to some networks.

    ReplyDelete